The Banking Association of Georgia warns consumer on one of the most common cyberfraud – so called “fishing”.
According to the Association, “fishing” is a form of cybercrime which is aimed at obtaining of personal data of internet users by fraud. BM.GE cites the Association’s statement:
“For the last period several cases of cyber fraud were registered which incurred a financial damage to consumers. Accordingly, we would like to share our advices on the way of protection of ourselves from the online cyberfraud, mainly on the most common form of the crime “fishing”.
“Fishing” is a form of a cyber-crime aimed at obtaining of personal data of internet users by fraud.
For instance, cyber offenders create falsified, similar web-sites of the companies and try to cheat users and make them to enter their data or send e-mails on their behalf where they ask users to send them their personal data (password, card number and others). This it is important to review the web-site prior to entering the data and to be ensured that you are really on the bank’s web-site. If not, your password and card requisites will get in hands of offenders.
Main communication is made by the name similar to the company’s name, by means of e-mail or social network.
To protect yourself from fraud:
• Do not enter private data into the doubtful web-site;
• Do not trust to e-mails asking for personal data and bank requisites. Your bank will never ask for a sensitive information by e-mail;
• Consider that the SMS codes received from the banks used for authorization should be entered only on the address of the bank’s internet banking;
• While entering of the personal data, for instance the card requisites into the internet always be careful to be at a correct address;
• Recheck address of the web-site. Remember that address of the falsified web-site may be similar to the original and with one or several changed symbols;
• Do not trust to notifications which request an urgent respond. It is a sign of dealing with a cyber-offender.
• Read e-mail once again. If it doesn’t looks like professional enough and has mistakes you may deal with a cyber-offender.
As a rule, a cyber offender tries to cheat the user with a well-known image. Thus, it is necessary to recheck everything that makes you doubt. Please, be careful and enter your data only into the authentic web-site. Only this way you can minimize risks”.